Pages

Post Slider

Tuesday 8 July 2014

First things first


Ever since leaving my job at the beginning of May my creative right brain has been firing on all cylinders.  It seems that with each passing week, the more distance I put between myself and corporate life, the more 'me' I feel. I'm happier, more inspired, increasingly energetic, and have a general feeling of joie de vivre!  


There are a million things I want to do right now; so many ideas floating around in my head for projects I want to start, new ways to earn money or things I want to do that will make me feel great!  The problem with this level of excitement for lots of different activities is that inevitably I don't quite know where to begin.  Should I focus on my career transformation? Or this blog?? Should I make more time for creative passions like cooking and photography??? The list of ideas is very long and it's got to the point where I'm a little overwhelmed by it all.



So on the weekend when I was looking at my 'to do' list and freaking out a bit I decided simply to focus on first things first.  I asked myself, what is the one thing I can tackle now and prioritise above all my other projects that will have the greatest positive impact on me? 

When I looked at it this way it was really obvious I needed to keep my focus firmly on my mission to ditch sugar and eat clean, nutritious, energising food. And this really does take time and require a lot of commitment and mental energy for me! I know that when I eat well I feel much better physically and also mentally, and if I feel great this puts me in the best possible position to achieve all my other goals. So when I really think about it, it's pretty obvious my health should always be my #1 priority! Of course this is easier said than done :)


So despite having tons of other things I wanted to do on Sunday, I spent several hours looking through my favourite healthy cookbooks* (see below!), planning my meals for the week ahead and shopping for all the food. I then spent time in the evening cooking a delicious Thai chicken burger recipe and baking spiced sweet-potato muffins from the Gwyneth Paltrow book. I also started a healthy recipe board on Pinterest (I am OBSESSED with Pinterest!) so I can always get healthy meal ideas when I'm in the supermarket without having to always plan in advance from my cookbooks.


Focusing on my commitment to dramatically reduce the amount of sugar and unhealthy food in my diet by planning healthy meals ahead of time really made me feel like I'd achieved something meaningful with my day. Probably much more so than if I had spent those hours doing lots of little bits from my to do list. Plus this means I have started the week feeling organised food-wise which I know will help me stay on track.


Now.... what shall I tackle next?! 


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



*My go-to cookbooks and resources for healthy recipe inspiration!

My Pinterest 'Healthy Food' pin board! (bear with me as I've only just started creating this) 

No comments

Post a Comment