Pages

Post Slider

Sunday 26 October 2014

Sunday inspiration


Recently I watched a really interesting interview with one of my favourite actors, Morgan Freeman. 


He was being interviewed by the incredible Oprah Winfrey and told his fascinating life story, focusing mainly on his career and how he finally achieved success in the acting world aged 50. I think there is a lesson in there for all of us that it's never too late!


Anyway - at the end of the interview Morgan read out part of a poem that has inspired and guided him throughout his life. I was struck by the beauty of the words he spoke, especially in his lovely Southern accent. I think he could read the shipping news and I would be completely enchanted by every word!



The poem is called 'Desiderata' by American writer Max Ehrmann and was written circa 1920. Desiderata is Latin and means 'things that are yearned for', which in the context of the poem more closely means 'essential things'. 

Ehrmann's prose is inspirational, and offers a simple, positive credo for life. I hope you find this beautiful poem as calming and uplifting as I do.

Happy Sunday to all my lovely readers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.


As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. 

Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.


If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. 

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.


Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. 

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass.


Take kindly to the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. 

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.


Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful. Strive to be happy."
by Max Ehrmann


What poems really inspire you? I would love to know! So please tell me in the comments below... 

3 comments

  1. Hello Celia! Firstly, I want to start by saying sorry - sorry because I fully intended on being your number one blog supporter since I found it (and then had the pleasure of meeting you!) because I know how much work is involved and how important comments are, and yet I've not read/commented for a while and am just catching up today!

    Secondly, your blog posts are great - really enjoying them all! I can't think of any poems that really inspire me but it's a good question and one I am going to ponder, books and stories are more my thing and I went to a book salon recently called 'The books that built me' which has had me thinking about the books that have had the most impact on my life so far.

    Finally, I mentioned Blogtacular 2015 to you once, but there is also a Mumsnet Blogfest coming up, Saturday 8 November http://www.mumsnet.com/events/blogfest/2014 I have a ticket - let me know if you decide to go! (We are obviously trying to do very different things and on different paths but I am a huge advocate for supporting others and feel women in particular should gang together to be positive forces of energy!).

    All the best, Esther xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Esther! SO great to hear from you lovely lady.

      Thank you for your wonderful comment. It has made my day! You don't need to apologise at all, thanks for being so supportive. People often leave comments on my Facebook page about my blog posts but rarely on the blog itself. All in good time I suppose :)

      I love thinking about the books that have really had an impact on me. Perhaps there's a blog post in there...!? I'm a bit of a book-worm to say the least.

      I already have a ticket to Blogfest on Sat 8th Nov and thought I would have to go alone which I wasn't particularly looking forward to. Maybe we could go together? We could meet beforehand and have lunch together etc, and help each other 'work the room'! What do you think? If you like the sound of this plan then email me at celia.dareddetermineddone@gmail.com and we can discuss.

      Celia x

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your lovely words and all your hard work. I'm thrilled and humbled that we have been a part of your journey. I'm excited for the life (not just career) that you're going to build for yourself. x

    ReplyDelete