Pages

Post Slider

Wednesday 8 November 2017

Pumpkin picking at secretts farm


Last weekend we celebrated Halloween by going in search of the perfect pumpkin at Secretts Farm in Milford. I love this place! It has a huge farm shop, little cafe, butcher, regular farmers markets and loads of seasonal events for families. During summer I took Leo there for his first Punch & Judy show and there were loads of kids enjoying the 'pick-your-own' berries, taking home huge boxes of fresh strawberries they had picked themselves.

So when I heard Secretts were doing a 'pumpkin week' event I knew we had to go!

We have a much loved Staton family tradition of carving pumpkins every Halloween which we've been doing for as long as I can remember. It's one of my favourite American 'imports' my mum introduced from her childhood in the States (alongside Easter egg decorating and making a huge fuss at Christmas with two or sometimes even three Christmas trees!). I have very happy memories of carving pumpkins with my parents and sister at our kitchen table each year. My dad, who was always very creative and loved getting stuck into family projects like this, would help us design the face and cut out the shapes and then we'd proudly display our pumpkins outside to welcome the trick-or-treaters on the big night. 

I've carried the tradition into my own family now and when I carve my Halloween pumpkin I think of my family, and remember with love my wonderful and much missed dad.

We were blessed to have beautiful weather for our pumpkin picking fest so naturally I took about 1000 photos of Leo running around trying to pick up vegetables twice the size of his head and marvelling at the tractors scooting about. 

It was the perfect Autumn day out!










SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSave

No comments

Post a Comment